Blogspot, Typepad, and WordPress were all viable options to start a blog in the early 2000s. These days, WordPress seems to be the only viable option for blogging. If you want to migrate your TypePad blog to a more modern and popular platform like WordPress, it can be difficult because Typepad makes it difficult to leave its platform. The TP2WP Importer Plugin makes it much easier for you to migrate the blog to such trending sites.
Permalinks, comments, images, and other attachments are not preserved in Typepad export files because they are plain text files. Therefore, if bloggers decide to migrate, they are stuck and can not move years or even decades of content without losing a lot of value.
Importance of the TP2WP Importer plugin in WordPress-
You must use TP2WP to prepare for the migration of your Typepad to WordPress blog. With the help of the TP2WP importer plugin, you can also convert your Typepad export file to a more WordPress-friendly format using this plugin. TP2WP will also save you a lot of time and effort in terms of cleanup.
The TP2WP importer imports Typepad data into WordPress using XML files created by the TP2WP conversion service. The importer checks your server, imports your data, and then imports your attachments in a three-step process.
- Server Status check –
For a smooth import of your Typepad data, the plugin checks your server configuration to make sure it is set up correctly before importing. Memory limit, maximum execution time, XML extension (extension), URL structure (permalink structure), theme and plugin configuration are checked by the status checkers.
- Importing all the Contents –
You can create your WXR (WordPress Extended RSS) file on tp2wp.com and import it in this step of the process. Text-based data is imported, such as post titles and body text, as well as author and comment information.
- Importing Attachments –
To import the attachments, your Typepad or Moveable Type site must be up and running. Any domains or subdomains associated with your site must be specified before the import process can begin.
Combined with tp2wp.com’s file conversion process, these three steps allow Typepad blogs to export as much data as possible without having to manually reconstruct it. For example, pages and sidebars are not preserved during this process.
TP2WP involves 3 simple step process –
1) Export – Create a .txt file to export your data. In Typepad, under Preferences, click Import/Export.
2) Convert – You can easily get started by uploading a text document (.txt), entering your site’s information, and previewing the resulting WordPress-XML conversion. Purchase a copy for $49.
3) Import – Use the TP2WP Importer plugin to upload your images and other attachments to your self-hosted WordPress blog.
Steps to how TP2WP Importer plugin works in WordPress –
1. Make sure your Typepad blog is ready for the move –
Luckily, Typepad makes it easy for you to do this. There’s a settings option in your dashboard, go to Settings Import and click the Export button. To convert Typepad’s export file to a WordPress-friendly format, here is how to use the TP2WP importer plugin.
2. Install WordPress on your new computer –
Server security patches are downloaded and installed on the server; uptime is monitored, and good consultants are hired to handle load balancing and environment management. WPEngine, BlueHost, and DreamHost are some of the best hosting services available on the Internet today.
As fully managed to host services, they are more expensive than self-hosting options but offer more features. Because of the added support for security, backups, and other technical issues, the higher price tag is justified.
3. Import the content you create –
Install WordPress after configuring the server’s security.
- Download the importer plugin “tp2wp-importer.zip” to your device.
- Insert “yourdomain.com/wp-admin” and then log in with your dashboard.
- To add a new plugin, click on “Plugins” + “Add New” in your dashboard menu on the left.
- Click the “Upload Plugin” button to start the process.
- On your computer’s hard drive, look for a file named “tp2wp-importer.zip”. According to step 1, click on “Install now”.
- Click “Activate Plugin” to get started.
- Then go to the menu on the left. The folder “TP2WP Importer” has been added to the menu on the left side of the website. Select the “TP2WP Importer” folder and click on it.
- Configure it yourself. Configurations and settings for TP2WP Importer or How to use “TP2WP Importer” in your WordPress site.
4. Import the new XML file to WordPress –
After installing the plugins, go to Tools > Import >WordPress Importer. Select your .xml file and import it.
5. Reconfigure the Internet –
Typepad does not support 301 redirects, so I changed the default blog folder and added a redirect script to the header of the single post page. I also requested that Google remove example.typepad.com from search results, just in case duplicate content was indexed.
WordPress RSS feeds work a little differently than Typepad’s RSS feeds, for example. Please update the Feedburner address if you are still using RSS, just in case! It was also necessary to update the sitemaps for search engines. These can be generated by a variety of plugins, but BWP Google XML Sitemaps is the most recommended.
Types of Data moved by TP2WP Importer Plugin –
All data moved to your new WordPress installation is as follows:
2) Files – In your WordPress import, all files associated with your domain or subdomains will be marked in your converted XML data.
3) Search Engine Optimization (SEO) – No one can match our unique approach to maintaining your hard-earned search engine ranking.
4) Posts – Not only do we move your blog posts, but we also correct dozens of formatting issues with Typepad export files.
5) Authors – Our custom importer automatically creates new author profiles so you do not have to manually create each profile.
6) Permalinks – As for permalinks, we do not rely on plugins that rewrite links. So we convert your old permalink structure to GUID, keeping your existing inbound links and redirecting them to your new URL structure instead of changing your old permalink structure.
7) Metadata – WordPress tags and categories will retain keywords and categories.
8) Comments – Your readers will be happy because we properly identify and preserve any comments that would otherwise be lost or deleted from your site.
It all came together in a little over six hours of work, which is about the same time it took to redirect the domain from Typepad to WordPress. $49 is the cost of the TP2WP Importer Plugins migration. Managed hosting from WPEngine is available for $29/month on their website. It costs $11/month to subscribe to Typepad for Pro Unlimited, but I think the price is worth it for the managed operation and access to a modern platform provided.
Many things still need to be tweaked, but that can be done over time. Among the many features available in WordPress are a variety of design themes, increased speed, SEO, and more.